Menu ≡

Our Blog


Clipboards with paperwork on them.

How to Get a Copy of IRS Form 5500 for Your Company's Retirement Plan

June 15, 2023

First, check with the third-party administrator (TPA) or your investment provider for your plan as this will be the easiest option. Otherwise, you can obtain IRS Form 5500 for the prior year at the DOL website. The DOL search engine identifies Form 5500 and 5500-SF filings received by EFAST2. However, effective March 28, 2023, only the latest filing for a plan year will be provided in the Form 5500 Series Search results. If you need help with the process, contact an LRS employee here.

I need a transcript or copy of my prior year's individual tax return

If you need a copy of your tax return because you don’t have one, first check with your software provider or tax preparer. Otherwise, you can request a copy from the IRS for the current tax year or as far back as seven years ago. However, plan ahead because it takes approximately 75 days to process a request for a copy of a filed tax return. Additionally, there is a $43 fee per copy as assessed by the IRS.

However, if you only need a tax transcript, you can request one from the IRS for free. A tax transcript summarizes return information and includes adjusted gross income (AGI). In most cases, a transcript has all the tax information you need. Tax transcripts can be necessary for a variety of situations including applying for home mortgages or college financial aid.

The most popular types of transcripts are:

  • Tax Return Transcript: A tax return transcript shows most line items including AGI from an original tax return (Form 1040, or 1040-SR) as filed, along with any forms and schedules. It doesn’t show changes made after the filing of the original return. A tax return transcript usually meets the needs of lending institutions offering mortgages and student loans. This transcript is only available for the current tax year and returns processed during the prior three years.
  • Tax Account Transcript: A tax account transcript shows basic data such as return type, marital status, adjusted gross income, taxable income and all payment types. It also shows changes made after the filing of the original return.

I need a copy of my tax transcript

The quickest way to get a copy of your tax transcript is to use the IRS transcript application. Once you verify your identity, you will be able to view and print your transcript immediately online.

If you're unable or prefer not to use the Get Transcript Online tool, you may order a tax return transcript or a tax account transcript by mail or:

  • Calling 206-430-5084; or
  • Completing and sending either Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ to the IRS. You can also use Form 4506-T to request other tax records such as tax account transcript, record of account, wage and income, and verification of non-filing.
  • Transcripts typically arrive at the address on file for you within 10 calendar days from the time IRS receives your request. So, get ahead this tax season and start gathering your documents early.


Connect with us on FacebookLinkedIn, and Twitter!

For tips and information regarding retirement plans, contact us.

Alternative Business Financing: Creating a Company Over a Weekend

There's more where that came from!
We have answers to all your retirement planning questions. Check out the rest of our blog content below.

Back To The Blog

Alternative Business Financing: How a Construction Company Mobilized a Workforce

The Leading Cannabis 401(k)

Is your cannabis company considering retirement benefits? All of our cannabis-related content can be accessed here.


Invest In A Bitcoin 401(k)

Interested in buying bitcoin but don't know where to start? Find out about investing in Digital Assets through a 401(k) plan here.


The ROBS Strategy

Starting a business while you're strapped for cash? Learn more about the ROBS Business Financing Strategy here.


CARES Act Answers for Retirement Plan Sponsors and Entrepreneurs!

If you have questions about how the current state of financial markets and COVID-19 will impact your company sponsored retirement plan, we have answers. For updates from LRS on changing government policies that result in relief for company sponsored retirement plans, helpful tips, and resources for navigating your plan during these uncertain times:


Back to the Blog

Website Design